Tuesday, June 15, 2010

4. Take a dance class.

The first attempt at completing something on The List. Take a dance class. I spent literally every waking moment as a child and young adult dancing. Hours upon hours per week, every week of the year, for over 15 years.

Every moment that I miss dancing, I thank the Brandywine Ballet Company and Donna Muzio for giving me my humble beginnings as a ballet dancer. I might not have thanked her at the time, in fact, I may have loathed her for the pain and the sleepless nights and the stress caused by the endless rehearsals. These days, though, I know that the BBC gave me something that I can never lose. There is a special peacefulness that washes over a person when they watch a ballet. It's not something that just anyone can understand.

Touch of Class was my second studio, when I couldn't continue taking the pressure of a semi-professional dance career and needed more fun. I went from the average dancer to one of the best at our new studio and the confidence-boost only made me stronger.

Enter college, weight loss, weight gain, studio art, losing myself and trying to find myself and I end up at Asbury Park Dance & Yoga inquiring about the Cabaret style dance class for adults. "Sassy jazz, Broadway, blues, burlesque, vaudeville...[Sometimes] rockabilly, pop, we've done dancehall," says Katie, the owner.

I am so. Effing. Excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment